当前位置

首页 > 口语英语 > 口语英语学习材料 > 点滴英语天天学第314期:雅思词汇(174)

点滴英语天天学第314期:雅思词汇(174)

推荐人: 来源: 阅读: 1.98W 次

1. Expression:in the hole

点滴英语天天学第314期:雅思词汇(174)

Explanation:Lacking money or some other resource; in debt. (负债,亏空,遇到经济困难

Example:I'm really in the hole after that night at the casino.

在赌场的那晚之后,我就真的身无分文了。

I went into the hole on that deal and now I'm $200 in the hole.

我在那笔生意上亏了,现在负债200美元。

A:I have not seen Jane for ages, how is she going now?

我很久没有见到Jane了,她现在怎么样呢?

B: You don’t know? She has been in the hole since two years ago.

你不知道吗?他从两年前就开始负债累累了。

A: Really? Then I must go to see her.

真的吗?那我得去看看她。

2. Expression:burn a hole in the pocket

Explanation:It is usually applied to money, suggesting that the person with the money feels the need to spend it quickly. (把钱花光

Example:I bet John will spend all his money in a few days because the money is burning a hole in his pocket.

我敢说不出几天约翰便会把钱花光,因为他是个有钱便要花光的人。

Don't let that bonus burn a hole in your pocket—save it up for something you really want.

别花光那笔将近,把它存起来去买你真正需要的东西。

I knew that he would go out and buy everything he saw because the money was burning a hole in his pocket.

我知道他会出去使见到什么买什么,因为他钱不花光就不痛快。

My allowance is burning a hole in my pocket! I can't wait until school is over, so I can go buy some baseball cards!

我的零花钱花光了——我等不到期末到来了,所以我去买了一些棒球卡。

3. Expression:in the red

Explanation:In debt. (负债,亏损,赤字

Example:Sales began to drop and the company was soon in the red. They had to sell the building.

销售开始下跌,公司财务不久便亏损,他们只得把那幢大楼卖掉

The annual budget of that company continues to show a deficit this year. It will go out of business because it is always in the red.

那家公司的今年年度预算继续出现亏损。因为公司时常出现赤字,不久将会关闭。

Now your company will end up financially in the red.

现在你们公司将在财政上以赤字告终。

I have so many outstanding parking tickets that I'll be in the red if I pay them all off at once!

我有这么多未付清的违章停车罚单,如果我马上把它们全部付清,我的财政就会出现赤字。

A: Jane has to sell her car, because her company has been in the red for years.

Jane不得不卖掉她的车,因为她的公司已经亏损很多年了。

B: What a pity! I hope that I can help her.

真可怜!希望我能帮上忙。

A: Don’t worry about her. She will manage to pull through the terrible periond of time in the end.

别担心她,她最终会度过这一难关的。