当前位置

首页 > 商务英语 > 常用商务英语口语 > 职场社交英语 Lesson 42:撤资

职场社交英语 Lesson 42:撤资

推荐人: 来源: 阅读: 7.06K 次

职场社交英语 Lesson 42:撤资

SCENE① C 艾文跌跌撞撞进了文斯的隔间

职场社交英语 Lesson 42:撤资

【撤资】

Vince: I just talked with the venture capitalists. If we don't follow Zina's timeline, they'll pull the plug.

文斯: 我才跟我们的投资方谈过。若我们不照吉娜的时间表进行,他们就撤资。

Elvin: Well, they're going to find out real soon that her timeline is impossible.

艾文: 好啊,他们很快就会发现,她的时间表是不可能的。

Vince: Maybe not. Zina got Vikam to 1) put up money for three new programmers. They start tomorrow.

文斯: 或许不会。吉娜让“维康”出钱请了三个新的程序设计师。他们明天就开工。

Elvin: Are we just going to let her 2) hijack the company?

艾文: 我们就这样让她在公司夺权?

Vince: For now, Zina is calling the shots.

文斯: 目前是由吉娜来发号施令。

Elvin: I can't believe this is happening.

艾文: 我不相信有这种事。

Vince: 're still 3) dripping blood on my desk.

文斯: 嗯……你的血还在往我的桌上滴。

语言详解

A: Do you like rainy days?

你喜欢下雨天吗?

B: I like listening to the sound of dripping water.

我喜欢听水滴落的声音。

【pull the plug 撤资】

pull the plug的字面意义是“拔插头”,用在医院中就是指“拔除长期陷入昏迷的病患的维持生命系统”,以让他安乐死。

A: That car accident was terrible. Did Joe ever make it off life support?

那场车祸真是可怕。乔现在还要靠呼吸器维持生命吗?

B: His injuries were too serious. His family decided to pull the plug.

他受的伤太重了。他的家人决定让他安乐死。

【Call the shots 发号施令】

开枪的时候,要有人喊口令,于是乎call the shots 就是指“发号施令”,以表示做决策以及作主控制的意思。

A: Josie is good at calling the shots.

乔西很会发号施令。

B: And that is why the company has been so successful.

所以这公司才会那么成功啊。

1) put up 提供金钱

2) hijack (v.) 劫持(车,船,飞机)

3) drip (v.) 滴落