当前位置

首页 > 口语英语 > 实用生活英语口语 > The english we speak(BBC教学)第104期:Have your cake and eat it 鱼与熊掌兼得

The english we speak(BBC教学)第104期:Have your cake and eat it 鱼与熊掌兼得

推荐人: 来源: 阅读: 2.26W 次

The english we speak(BBC教学)第104期:Have your cake and eat it 鱼与熊掌兼得

Jen: Hi! I'm Jen. And here's Li.

珍:大家好!我是珍。这位是李。

Li: (Sighing) Hi.

:(叹气)大家好。

Jen: You seem in a bad mood, what's wrong?

珍:你看上去心情不好,怎么了?

Li: Take a look at this brochure.

李:你看看这本册子吧。

Jen: (Reading) "Golden palm beach, Barbados. This resort boasts miles of unspoiled beaches, crystal blue waters and five star accommodation..." Is this where you're going on holiday, Li?

:(浏览)“巴巴多斯金棕榈沙滩。这处度假胜地拥有数英里未受破坏的原始海滩、晶莹湛蓝的海水以及五星级酒店……”李,这是你要去度假的地方吗?

Li: Yes, I just booked it.

李:对,我刚刚预订了。

Jen: Well, you don't sound very happy about it, what's the problem?

珍:可是你听起来并不开心,有什么问题吗?

Li: Well, it cost me £5,000!

李:这花了我5000英镑!

Jen: That's a lot of money.

珍:真是一大笔钱啊。

Li: I know, and I wanted to save my money so that I could get my bathroom decorated.

李:我知道,可是我还想存钱装修卫生间呢。

Jen: Why did you book a holiday, then?!

珍:那你为什么要预定假期呢?

Li: I have to go on holiday - I haven't had a break for two years!

李:我必须要去度假,我已经两年没有休假了!

Jen: Well, that's ok, you've booked it now!

珍:好吧,你现在已经预订了呀!

Li: But I really need to get the bathroom done too!

李:可是我同样也要装修卫生间!

Jen: Well, you can't have your cake and eat it, Li!

珍:李,鱼和熊掌不可兼得。

Li: What do you mean? How did you know I had cake today? Are you calling me fat?! Do you think I should stop eating cake?!

李:你什么意思?你怎么知道我今天吃了蛋糕?你是说我胖吗?你认为我不应该再吃蛋糕了吗?

Jen: Whoa! No, no, I'm not saying anything-

珍:哇!不,不,我什么也没说……

Li: Then why do you want me to stop eating cake?!

李:那你为什么让我别再吃蛋糕了?!

Jen: Calm down. I said, "You can't have your cake and eat it." We use this phrase in English to mean that you can't have something both ways.

珍:冷静。我说You can't have your cake and eat it,在英语中我们用这个短语来表示你不能同时拥有两样东西。

Li: Oh. So you mean I can't spend my money and save it at the same time?

李:哦,所以你的意思是我不能同时花钱和省钱?

Jen: Exactly. Let's hear some more examples:

珍:没错。我们来看一些例子:

He's just got married, but he misses the single life. Well it's too bad–you can't have your cake and eat it!

他刚结婚就开始想念单身生活了。这太糟糕了——鱼和熊掌不可兼得啊!

I drank a whole bottle of champagne at the party last night, but now I feel sick - I've got the worst hangover ever. But I suppose you can't have your cake and eat it!

昨天我在派对上喝了一整瓶香槟,现在我感觉很不舒服,这是我经历过的最糟的宿醉。我想这真是鱼与熊掌不能兼得!

Li: The second example is good–you can't expect to drink a lot of alcohol without feeling the effects the next day: you can't have it both ways; you can't have your cake and eat it.

李:第二个例子很棒,你不能希望喝了大量的酒以后第二天没什么影响:你不可能两样兼得;鱼与熊掌不可兼得。

Jen: And you can't have your lovely holiday without spending a lot of money on it.

珍:而同样你也不能既享受愉快的假期又期待不会花太多的钱。

Li: I suppose you're right.

李:我想你是对的。

Jen: All this talk of cake has got my stomach rumbling, I feel really hungry now.

珍:一直说到蛋糕我肚子都叫了。我现在非常饿。

Li: There's a new cafe across the road which is selling little cupcakes, they look really delicious! We could go and get some after the programme?

李:街对面开了一家卖纸杯蛋糕的新咖啡厅,看起来非常好吃!我们做完节目以后去买点吃怎么样?

Jen: I would love to, but I can't, I want to save my money to go out to dinner tonight.

珍:我很想去,可是我不能去,我要省下钱,今天出去吃晚餐。

Li: Oh well Jen, you can't have your cake and eat it. I'll just get one for myself!

李:哦,珍,你这就是二者不可兼得啊。我去给我自己买一个蛋糕!

重点讲解:
1. be happy about
(对情况或安排)满意的,放心的;
eg. I am not very happy about the plan.
我对该计划不是很满意。
eg. He doesn't seem to be very happy about it.
对这他似乎不太高兴。
2. have one's cake and eat it
二者兼得;鱼与熊掌兼得;
eg. What he wants is a switch to a market economy in a way which does not reduce people's standard of living. To many this sounds like wanting to have his cake and eat it.
他想要转型为市场经济,同时又不降低人们的生活水平。在许多人看来,这是想要鱼与熊掌兼得。
eg. You want to get a pay raise and reduce your work hours? I'm sorry, but you can't have your cake and eat it too!
你想要加薪又想要减少工作时数?很抱歉,鱼与熊掌不可兼得!
3. calm down
(使)平静下来;(使)镇定下来;
eg. He walked a circle around the house to calm down.
他绕着房子走了一圈,想让自己冷静下来。
eg. She tried to calm down and head off a quarrel.
她试着冷静下来,避免争吵。
4. would love to do sth.
乐于;很愿意做某事;
eg. We would love to see a film on Sunday.
我们很愿意星期天去看电影。
eg. She would dearly love to see her childhood friend again.
她非常想再见见儿时的朋友。