当前位置

首页 > 口语英语 > 口语英语学习材料 > 点滴英语天天学第320期:雅思词汇(180)

点滴英语天天学第320期:雅思词汇(180)

推荐人: 来源: 阅读: 1.96W 次

1. Expression:IOU

点滴英语天天学第320期:雅思词汇(180)

Explanation:A written promise or reminder to pay a debt. (借条,借据,欠条

Example:A: Tina, can I bum 100 bucks out of you? I can write you an IOU.

Tina,你借100美元给我,我可以写借条给你。

B: No way, Tom. I have already got too many IOUs from you.

不行,Tom。我这儿有一大堆你的借条了。

We undercharged Mr. Smith and have to send him an IOU for the extra amount .

我们少收了史密斯先生的钱,只得给他寄去一张借条索要欠款。

I haven' t any money. Can I give you an IOU for $ 10 ?

我没钱了,我可以给你一张借条借十块钱吗?

2. Expression:It Takes two to tango.

Explanation:Two parties involved in a certain action or situation. (一个巴掌拍不响

Example:Your son blames mine for their fight at school but it generally takes two to tango.

你儿子把在学校打架的事情怪在我儿子头上,但是通常是“一个巴掌拍不响”。

We won't be able to get this deal underway unless your company is willing to compromise. It takes two to tango, after all.

除非贵公司愿意妥协,否则我们无法达成这笔交易。毕竟,一个巴掌拍不响。

Alan: You're always arguing! Stop arguing all the time.

你总是爱争论,别总是争论。

Jane: I can't argue all by myself. It takes two to tango.

我自己又不可能和自己争论,一个巴掌拍不响。

Fred: Did you hear? Janice got herself pregnant.

你听说Janice怀孕了吗?

Jill: Well, she didn't do it all by herself. Takes two to tango, you know.

嗯,这又不是她一个人能够做到的。你知道的“一个巴掌拍不响”。

3. Expression:Jack of all trades

Explanation:A person who is skilled in many different areas.(杂而不精的人,样样懂一些的

Example:Peter's never stayed at anything long enough to become an expert. He's something of a jack of all trades.

彼得做任何事情都不持久,因而也成不了行家能手,颇像个样样都会一点,但一样都不精通的人。

My father could fix cars, build furniture, and program computers—he was a jack of all trades.

我父亲会修车,会做家具,会编程——他是个万事通,但不精通。

Bill can do plumbing, carpentry and a little bit gardening. He is really a Jack of all trades.

Bill会做管工,木工,还会点园艺,他真是样样会做啊!

Why did you do such a lousy job? You are a Jack of all trades.

为什么你把事情做得那么糟?你样样都懂,但不精通。