当前位置

首页 > 口语英语 > 实用生活英语口语 > The english we speak(BBC教学)第158期:Rabbit in the Headlights 被震住了

The english we speak(BBC教学)第158期:Rabbit in the Headlights 被震住了

推荐人: 来源: 阅读: 9.16K 次

The english we speak(BBC教学)第158期:Rabbit in the Headlights 被震住了

Finn: Hello. I'm Finn.

芬恩:大家好,我是芬恩。

Li: And I'm Li.

莉:我是莉。

Finn: And we're whispering–we're talking very quietly-because we are about to watch an awards ceremony for the best dancer in the UK.

芬恩:我们要小声说,我们要悄悄说话的原因是我们要收看英国最佳舞者的颁奖典礼。

Li: Yes–I think it's going to begin now. Shh.

莉:对,我想马上就要开始了。嘘。

Awards Host: And the award for best dancer this year goes to… Timmy Tapper!

颁奖典礼主持人:今年的最佳舞者授予的获奖者是……蒂米·泰柏。

(Applause)

(掌声)

Timmy Tapper: Erm, thank you!

蒂米·泰柏:呃,谢谢

Awards Host: Timmy, would you like to say a few words?

颁奖典礼主持人:蒂米,你想说点什么吗?

Timmy Tapper: Yes, erm, thank you… to… everybody! Thanks.

蒂米·泰柏:好,呃,谢谢……谢谢大家!谢谢。

Awards Host: Great. Well thank you Timmy. You've done a fantastic job this year!

颁奖典礼主持人:太棒了。谢谢你,蒂米,你今年的表现非常出色!

Finn: (whispers) Li, what happened? He was like a rabbit in the headlights.

芬恩:(耳语)莉,发生什么了?他好像被震住了。

Li: I don't know, he was very nervous. But what did you say, Finn, about rabbits?

莉:我也不知道,他太紧张了。不过芬恩,刚刚你说了什么,跟兔子有关的?

Finn: Oh, rabbits, yes. A rabbit in the headlights. It's a phrase used to describe someone who is so nervous that they can't move or speak.

芬恩:哦,兔子,是的。我说的A rabbit in the headlights,这个短语用来形容某个人因为极度紧张,不能移动或是说不出话来。

Li: I see. Someone who is too nervous to move or speak. But why does it involve headlights–the lights at the front of a car?

莉:我明白了。某个人太紧张了,以至于不能移动或是说不出话来。不过为什么要用车头灯这个词啊,这不是指车前面的灯吗?

Finn: Well if you think about if you are driving a car at night and you have your headlights on. Suddenly, a rabbit appears in the middle of the road. But it is too scared by the car driving towards for it to run away. It's a rabbit in the headlights.

芬恩:你想想如果你在晚上开车,你就必须要开开车头灯。这时突然,一只兔子跑到了路中间。兔子被开过来的车吓坏了,以至于它并没有逃走。就是说它被震住了。

Li: That's a rabbit in the headlights. Oh, Finn, I think Timmy Tapper wants to say something.

莉:就是它被震住了。哦,芬恩,我认为蒂米·泰柏想说些话的。

Finn: Oh yes.

芬恩:是啊。

Timmy Tapper: Oh, sorry. Can I just say one more thing?

蒂米·泰柏:哦,抱歉。我能再说句话吗?

Awards Host: Sure, go ahead, Timmy!

颁奖典礼主持人:当然了,请吧,蒂米!

(Timmy starts tap dancing)

(蒂米开始跳踢踏舞)

Awards Host: Well, isn't that amazing!

颁奖典礼主持人:哇,是不是很不可思议?

Li: Ha ha. I think Timmy was nervous speaking in front of everyone here just now, but now he's happy to express himself through tap dancing!

莉:哈哈。我认为刚才蒂米在大家面前说话太紧张了,不过现在他乐于用踢踏舞来表达自己的情感!

Finn: He looks very happy doesn't he? And while Timmy dances, I have some advice for everyone. If you want to speak confident English, and not be like a rabbit in the headlights, why not visit our website explore our free English learning materials?

芬恩:他看起来很快乐,不是吗?在蒂米跳舞的时候,我要给大家一些建议。如果你想说流利的英语,不想做害怕表达的人,那你为什么不访问我们的网站找些免费的英语学习资料呢?

Li: .

莉:网址是。

Finn: That's it. Bye.

芬恩:没错。再见。

Li: Bye.

莉:再见。

(Timmy tap dancing)

(蒂米跳踢踏舞)

重点讲解:
1. be about to do sth.
即将(做…)的;快要(发生…)的;
eg. That might be about to change.
这种情况可能即将发生变化。
eg. The controversy is about to get stickier.
这场争议即将进一步陷入一团乱麻。
2.
太……以至于不能……;
eg. No detail was too small to escape her attention.
再小的细节都逃不过她的眼睛
eg. He is clearly too partisan to be a referee.
他倾向性过于明显,当不了裁判。
3. run away
离开;逃离;躲开;
eg. So let's not be hasty. After all, he can't run away.
所以我们不要鲁莽行事。毕竟他是跑不掉的。
eg. He broke the window and ran away.
他打破窗子逃跑了。
4. in front of
在…面前(做或说);当着…的面;
eg. She criticized him in front of his mother.
而她则在他妈妈面前指责他。
eg. Electoral officials tallied the results in front of the voters.
负责选举的官员在投票人面前统计票数。
5. be happy to do sth,.
乐意的;情愿的;
eg. And in the high-end commuter market, there are customers who are happy to pay$ 1,000 for a bike.
而且在高端的通勤上班族市场,也有些顾客愿意花1,000美元买一辆自行车。
eg. I'll be happy to answer any questions if there are any.
如果有问题,我很乐意回答。