当前位置

首页 > 口语英语 > 实用生活英语口语 > The english we speak(BBC教学)第96期:Call it a day 到此为止

The english we speak(BBC教学)第96期:Call it a day 到此为止

推荐人: 来源: 阅读: 2.84W 次

The english we speak(BBC教学)第96期:Call it a day 到此为止

Jen: Hello, and welcome to The English We Speak. I'm Jennifer, and with me in the studio is... yawn... Helen.

珍:大家好,欢迎来到我们说的英语节目。我是珍妮弗,今天我们演播室请到的嘉宾是……啊……海伦。

Helen: Hi Jen... are you a bit tired?

海伦:珍,你好……你是不是有点累?

Jen: Oh yes, I really am. I've been here since seven this Morning - I think I'm ready to call it a day now.

珍:对,我确实很累。我从早上七点开始就一直在这里工作,我想现在我准备好要结束工作回家了。

Helen: What do you want to call it? Monday? Tuesday?

海伦:你想给日子起什么名字?周一?周二?

Jen: Oh no, I don't mean...

珍:不是,我不是那个意思……

Helen: How about Saturday? That's my favourite day. Or we could call it a new day altogether. What about Cake-day! Or Coffee-day.

海伦:周六怎么样?那是我最喜欢的日子。或者我们可以起个全新的名字。蛋糕日怎么样?或者叫咖啡日。

Jen: I don't want to rename the day. In English, if you're ready to call it a day, it means that you want to finish whatever you're doing-and usually go home.

珍:我并不想给日期重命名。在英语中,这个短语的意思是你想结束你正在做的事情,通常是指准备回家。

Helen: So you want to call it a day now? We haven't finished the programme yet.

海伦:所以你现在想结束工作回家了吗?我们的节目还没结束呢。

Jen: That's true. In that case, let's hear some examples of the phrase in action.

珍:没错。既然是这样,我们来看看应用这个短语的其他例子。

We're getting nowhere with this–shall we call it a day and start again tomorrow?

我们没有什么进展,我们今天要不要先结束,明天再开始做?

I'm getting picked up from work at five, so I think I'd better call it a day.

我五点就开始工作了,所以我想我最好结束工作回家去。

Helen: I see... so if you call it a day, you decide that it's time to finish the work you're doing.

海伦:我明白了……如果你说call it a day,意思是你决定现在是结束正在做的工作的时间了。

Jen: That's right, so let's call it a day right now.

珍:没错,所以我们现在结束工作吧。

Helen: Alright then. Do you fancy a quick drink after work?

海伦:好的。下班后你想不想去喝一杯?

Jen: Well, I'm feeling pretty tired, but I suppose I could come out for one drink.

珍:嗯,我觉得非常的累,不过我想我可以出去喝杯酒。

Helen: Let's go then!

海伦:那我们就走吧!

Voice: Some time later...

话外音:一段时间之后……

(Nightclub music)

(夜店音乐)

Helen: Jen, look at the time-we've been here seven hours!

海伦:珍,看看时间,我们来这里已经7个小时了!

Jen: I know! I don't know where the evening went. It's probably time to call it a night.

珍:我知道!可是我不知道晚上的时间都去哪里了。我想我们今晚可能就到此为止了。

Helen: I thought the phrase was 'call it a day'?

海伦:我想短语是call it a day吧?

Jen: We can also say 'call it a night' if you've been somewhere in the evening and you know it's time to go home.

珍:我们也可以说call it a night,如果你在晚上去了某个地方,而你意识到是该回家的时候了就可以用这个短语。

Helen: Well, I definitely think that you need to call it a night, then. Although look...

海伦:嗯,我当然认为你今晚需要到此结束。虽然看起来……

Jen: What?

珍:什么?

Helen: The sun is coming up already. We've been out on the town all night. Perhaps we should call it a day instead?

海伦:太阳已经升起来了。我们已经玩了一整晚了。也许我们应该回家了吧?

Jen: That means it's nearly time for work again! Can I call in sick, please?

珍:意思是又要到上班的时间了!请问我能打电话请病假吗?

重点讲解:
1. call it a day
到此为止;结束;
eg. Faced with mounting debts, the decision to call it a day was inevitable.
面对着不断增加的债务,最终难免作出将其结束的决定。
eg. I want the manager's job when he calls it a day.
等到经理不干了之后,我想接替他的位子。
2. call it a night
今晚到此为止;今晚就做到这里,收工;
eg. It has been a wonderful evening! I think that we should call it a night.
真是一个美好的夜晚,我想我们该回家了。
eg. Shall we call it a night for now and continue our discussion tomorrow?
我们今晚就此结束,明天继续讨论好吗?
3. come up
(太阳、月亮)升起;
eg. It will be so great watching the sun come up.
看着太阳冉冉升起将是十分美妙的事情。
eg. Another hour and I see the sun starting to come up in the distance.
又过了一个小时,我看到太阳开始从远方升起。
4. on the town
(夜晚)在闹市区玩乐;
eg. Last Saturday, I was out on the town with my mate.
上个星期六我和老友晚上去闹市玩乐了。
eg. Tim was just arriving home from a long night on the town.
蒂姆在外面玩了一宿,刚刚到家。
5. call in sick
打电话请病假;
eg. 'Shouldn't you be at work today?' — 'I called in sick.'
“你今天不是应该上班的吗?”“我打电话请过病假了。”
eg. I will call in sick for you. Just stay at home and rest for the day.
我会帮你打电话请病假。你今天就在家里休息吧!