当前位置

首页 > 口语英语 > 实用生活英语口语 > 美语情景对话 第408期:Things People Fear 人们害怕的事情

美语情景对话 第408期:Things People Fear 人们害怕的事情

推荐人: 来源: 阅读: 1.04W 次

Todd: Ruth, what is something you are afraid of? Like snakes, spiders, rats?

托德:鲁斯,你有害怕的东西吗?比如蛇,蜘蛛或是老鼠?

Ruth: Probably sharks.

鲁斯:应该是鲨鱼。

Todd: Sharks.

托德:鲨鱼。

Ruth: I know that sounds quite irrational, especially when I don't live near the sea but just the thought of being eaten by a shark. It's horrific. I really, really, I'm frightened of sharks.

鲁斯:我知道这听起来不合常理,尤其是我也不生活在海边,但是只是想想被鲨鱼咬的场景,那真是太可怕了。我真的非常非常害怕鲨鱼。

Todd: Have you ever seen a shark?

托德:你看到过鲨鱼吗?

Ruth: No.

鲁斯:没有。

Todd: No.

托德:没有吗?

Ruth: Thankfully.

鲁斯:谢天谢地。

Todd: Yeah.

托德:是啊。

Ruth: I think I'd run a mile.

鲁斯:我想我得跑得远远的。

Todd: I don't know really what I'm afraid of, I guess,I don't like heights too much. Yeah, so. I have to admit that when I'm on a plane I get kind of freaked out, when I fly, yeah. You think, "How is this thing staying in the air?". You know?

托德:我不清楚我到底害什么,我想我不喜欢太高的地方。所以我必须承认,我在飞机上的时候,在飞行的时候会有点儿害怕。你想想,就像“这个东西到底是怎么待在空中的?”你懂吗?

Ruth: You're always happy to land.

鲁斯:着陆的时候你总是很高兴。

Todd: Yeah, yeah. Always, always, very happy to land, and often when I go home I have to fly across the Pacific and there's no land so you look out your window and you think, "Ah, if something goes wrong with the plane we can't land anymore, but that's very irrational because most accidents I think happen over mountains, so. I think so.

托德:对,是啊。着陆的时候我非常高兴,通常我要回家的时候必须要飞过太平洋,那里没有陆地,所以当你向窗户外面看的时候,你会想“啊,如果这架飞机出了什么问题,那我们就再也不能着陆了”,不过这非常不合常理,因为我诊断大多数事故都是在山区发生的。我是这么认为的。

Ruth: Although if you landed in the sea, then there might be sharks.

鲁斯:即使你降落在海面上,那里可能也会有鲨鱼。

Todd: That's true. How do you feel when you fly?

托德:那倒是真的。你在飞行的时候有什么感觉?

Ruth: I quite like flying actually. I quite like it. I mean I'm quite used to flying. I've flown to a lot of places. If it's a long haul flight, i guess it's a bit boring, but I like the handheld computer you get to play with.

鲁斯:实际上我非常喜欢坐飞机。我很喜欢。我是说我很习惯坐飞机。我坐飞机去过很多地方。我认为长途飞行有点无聊,但是我喜欢带着手提电脑,这样就可以在飞机上玩了。

Todd: Yeah, those are nice.

托德:是啊,那真是很不错。

Ruth: They're good.

鲁斯:它们非常好。

Todd: Now, you're a vegetarian so what's the food like?

托德:你是素食主义者,那飞机上的食物怎么样?

Ruth: Oh, well the last time I flew I didn't get any vegetarian food. I think I forgot to tell them, so I had to eat the chicken, whatever.

鲁斯:哦,上次我坐飞机的时候他们就不提供素食。我想我忘了告诉他们,所以我不得不选了鸡肉。

Todd: Really, you actually ate the chicken?

托德:真,实际上你可以吃鸡肉?

Ruth: No, I didn't eat it. I didn't eat it. I just had it in front of me.

鲁斯:不,我没有吃,我没有吃。我只是把它们放在了我前面。

Todd: Yeah, I heard that the vegetarian meal are actually better than the chicken or beef meal.

托德:好吧,我听说素食其实比鸡肉或是牛肉餐好吃。

Ruth: Really, they're quite good, I mean when I've had then in the past they've been quite good.

鲁斯:是啊,素食真的非常好吃,我是说我以前在飞机上吃过素食,真的非常好吃。

Todd: Well, here's to not seeing any sharks in the future.

托德:嗯,希望你以后也不会看到鲨鱼。

Ruth: Absolutely.

鲁斯:当然了。

美语情景对话 第408期:Things People Fear 人们害怕的事情

重点讲解:
1. be afraid of
害怕的;恐惧的;
eg. The petty clerk was afraid of offending his boss.
这个小职员不敢得罪他的老板。
eg. I'm not afraid of heights.
我不恐高。
2. freak out
(使)吃惊;(使)不安;(使)恼怒;(使)困惑;
eg. I freak out every time I see a bug.
我每次看到虫子都会吓得发疯。
eg. The band's wild playing made the audience freak out.
乐队的狂野表演把观众吓坏了。
3. be happy to
乐意的;情愿的;
eg. He's happy to mooch around the house all day.
他就愿意在家里闲待着。
eg. They were happy to partake of our feast, but not to share our company.
他们喜欢享用我们准备的丰盛大餐,但是不喜欢和我们呆在一起。
4. be used to doing sth.
习惯于;
eg. It was a bit of a shock: I'm not used to paying so much for a sandwich and a glass of beer.
我真有点吃惊:一片三明治加一杯啤酒就要花那么多钱,我还不习惯。
eg. Many employees are used to being able to "call in sick" and have someone else cover their job, for instance.
很多员工都习惯装病,或让别人帮忙掩盖他们的工作。
5. here's to
(祝酒词)为……干杯;
eg. He raised his glass. 'Here's to neighbors.'
他举起杯子: “各位高邻,干了这杯!”
eg. Tony smiled and lifted his glass. 'Here's to you, Amy.'
托尼微笑着举起杯子。“为你干一杯,埃米。”