当前位置

首页 > 口语英语 > 实用生活英语口语 > The english we speak(BBC教学)第118期:Lairy 俗气的

The english we speak(BBC教学)第118期:Lairy 俗气的

推荐人: 来源: 阅读: 2.29W 次

The english we speak(BBC教学)第118期:Lairy 俗气的

Neil: Hello and welcome to The English We Speak, I'm Neil.

尼尔:大家好,欢迎来到地道英语节目,我是尼尔。

Li: And I'm Li. Did you stay much longer last night at the office party?

李:我是李。昨天的办公室聚会你又待了一会儿吗?

Neil: Yes I did. After you left we went on to a bar in the City.

尼尔:是啊。昨天你离开以后我们又去了市里的一家酒吧。

Li: Oh sounds good! We had an office party last night. I left early but Neil and a few colleagues went on to a bar in the city of London–the financial district. How was it?

李:听起来真好!昨天我们有办公室聚会。我提早离开了,不过尼尔和一些同事还去了伦敦市金融区的一家酒吧,那里怎么样?

Neil: Actually it was pretty bad. There were all these traders getting drunk and shouting a lot about their cars and expensive clothes and holidays. You know, they were just really lairy.

尼尔:实际上非常糟糕。所有的商人都喝醉了,他们大声炫耀着他们的车和昂贵的衣服还有假期。你知道,他们真的非常俗气。

Li: They were what?

李:他们很什么?

Neil: Lairy.

尼尔:俗气。

Li: Lairy. This adjective is used to describe people, usually men, behaving in a loud, excited and slightly aggressive way. So it wasn't much fun?

李:俗气。这个形容词通常用来形容大声说话、情绪激动又有些嚣张的男性。所以没有太多乐趣吗?

Neil: No, they made it miserable for everyone else in the place, to be honest.

尼尔:没有,说实话,他们让在那里的其他人都很痛苦。

Li: So the bar was full of drunk and noisy men. They were talking loudly about their expensive things. They sound very lairy. Here's another example of the word.

李:所以那家酒吧全是喝醉又吵闹的男人。他们大声地谈论他们的贵重物品。他们听上去很俗气。下面有这个词的其他例子。

Example

例子

A: Shall we go shopping in Kensington on Saturday afternoon?

A:周六下午我们去肯辛顿购物好吗?

B: I'd love to but I hate getting the Tube to Kensington on a Saturday. It's always full of lairy Chelsea fans on their way to the football.

B:我很想去,可是我讨厌周六坐地铁去肯辛顿。地铁里挤满了俗气的去看足球比赛的切尔西球迷。

A: Yes, you're right. It's really scary when they're so drunk and shouting and singing. How about somewhere else?

A:你说得对。他们喝醉以后,又喊又叫真的很可怕。那去其他地方怎么样?

Neil: Those women don't want to get the Tube near the Chelsea football ground on a Saturday because the fans travelling to the stadium are often drunk and shouting and singing. They're lairy.

尼尔:那些女生不想周六在切尔西球场附近坐地铁,因为那些去球场的球迷经常处于喝醉的状态,而且还会喊叫和唱歌。他们非常俗气。

Li: Yes, I've been in that situation too. It's not much fun. So, this word 'lairy': is it common?

李:对,我也曾遇到过这种情况。没那么好玩。所以这个词很常用吗?

Neil: I'd say it's quite common, but slang. And you wouldn't often write it. But you'll hear British and Australian people using it; especially in the situations we've talked about.

尼尔:我得说非常常用,但它是俚语。通常写作中不会经常用到。不过你会听到英国人和澳大利亚人使用这个词;尤其是刚刚我们谈过的那些情况。

Li: Anything else I need to know?

李:还有其他我要知道的吗?

Neil: Yes, you should use the word in combination with 'blokes'. This is British slang meaning 'men'.

尼尔:有,你可以和家伙这个词一起用。这个俚语在英语中的意思是男人。

Li: Lairy blokes.

李:俗气的家伙。

Neil: That's right. That's all from us, but we'll leave you with the sound of lairy blokes watching football.

尼尔:没错。这就是我们今天节目的所有内容,不过我们会把俗气的家伙观看足球比赛的声音留给你们。

Li: Bye!

李:再见!

Neil: Bye!

尼尔:再见!

(Angry football crowd)

(生气的足球观众)

重点讲解:
1. to be honest
老实说;说实在的;
eg. To be honest, I just don't want to go.
说心里话,我真不想去。
eg. To be honest, I am not all that optimistic we will pass the exam.
老实说,我对我们能否通过考试不那么乐观
2. be full of
有大量…的;满是…的;
eg. His songs are full of dirge.
他的歌充满了忧伤。
eg. He was full of youthful idealism.
他满脑子都是年轻人的理想主义。
3. in combination with
与…联合,与…结合;
eg. He carried on the business in combination with his friends.
他与朋友们合伙做生意。
eg. They are most suitable when used in combination with the quick-acting chemicals.
要是与快速作用的化学药品合用,它们是最合适的。