当前位置

首页 > 英语阅读 > 英文经典故事 > 双语畅销书《艾伦图灵传》第4章:彼岸新星(42)

双语畅销书《艾伦图灵传》第4章:彼岸新星(42)

推荐人: 来源: 阅读: 1.49W 次

As he forecast, he failed to gain a Cambridge appointment.

双语畅销书《艾伦图灵传》第4章:彼岸新星(42)
和艾伦想的一样,他没有获得剑桥的教席。

Ingham wrote from King's, encouraging him to stay for another year, and this made up his mind.

英哈姆从国王学院写信给他,鼓励他在普林斯顿再留一年,这让他做了决定。

He wrote on 19 May:

5月19号,他写信说:

I have just made up my mind to spend another year here, but I shall be going back to England for Most of the summer in accordance with previous programme.

我已经决定了,在这里再留一年,但我必须按照之前的计划,夏天回英国避暑。

Thank you very much for your offer of help with this:

感谢你对我的资助,

I shall not need it, for if I have this Procter as the Dean suggests I shall be a rich man, and otherwise I shall go back to Cambridge.

我想我可能并不需要了,如果照院长说的,我能得到保洁奖学奖,那我将会很宽裕,否则的话,我就应该回剑桥。

Another year here on the same terms would be rather an extravagance. …

如果再以这样的方式留在这里,那就有点太奢侈了……

My boat sails June 23.

我将于6月23日启程,

I might possibly do a little travelling here before the boat goes,

出发前我会在这里旅游一下,

as there will be very little doing here during the next month and it's not a fearfully good time of year for work.

这个季节不太适合工作。

More likely I shall not as I don't usually travel for the sake of travelling.

我也有可能不旅游,我不想为了旅游而旅游。

I am sorry Maurice won't be here next year. He has been very good company.

很遗憾莫瑞斯明年就走了,他是一个很好的伙伴。

I am glad the Royal Family are resisting the Cabinet in their attempt to keep Edward VIII's marriage quiet.

很高兴王室坚持对抗内阁,维持爱德华八世的婚姻。