当前位置

首页 > 英语阅读 > 英文经典故事 > 名著精读《理智与情感》第13章 第4节

名著精读《理智与情感》第13章 第4节

推荐人: 来源: 阅读: 3.03W 次

"We must go, " said Sir John. --"It shall not be put off when we are so near it. You cannot go to town till tomorrow, Brandon, that is all. "

名著精读《理智与情感》第13章 第4节

“我们一定要去,”约翰爵士说,“事到如今,不能推延啦。布兰登,你可以等到明天再进城,就这么定啦。”

"I wish it could be so easily settled. But it is not in my power to delay my journey for one day!"

“我但愿能这么容易就定下来。可是我无权推迟行期,哪怕一天也不行!”

"If you would but let us know what your business is, " said Mrs. Jennings, "we might see whether it could be put off or not. "

“你只要告诉我们你有什么事,”詹宁斯太太说,“我们也好评评能不能推迟。”

"You would not be six hours later, " said Willoughby, "if you were to defer your journey till our return. "

“你要是等到我们回来再进城,”威洛比说,“你顶多晚走六个小时。”

"I cannot afford to lose ONE hour. "

“我一个小时也耽搁不得。"

Elinor then heard Willoughby say, in a low voice to Marianne, "There are some people who cannot bear a party of pleasure. Brandon is one of them. He was afraid of catching cold I dare say, and invented this trick for getting out of it. I would lay fifty guineas the letter was of his own writing. "

这时,埃丽诺听见威洛比低声对玛丽安说:“有些人总是不肯与大伙儿一块玩乐。布兰登就是其中的一个。我敢肯定,他害怕感冒,于是就耍了这个金蝉脱壳之计。我愿拿五十个几尼打赌,那封信是他自己写的。”

"I have no doubt of it, " replied Marianne.
  
“对此我毫不怀疑,”玛丽安应道。

转载请注明出处。

y v. 耽搁,推迟,延误

Our plane was delayed by fog.
我们的飞机因大雾而误点了。

r vt. 延期,缓召,把 ... 委托给他人

I shall defer replying till I hear from home.
我将等接到家信以后再给你答复。

v. 忍受

I can't bear having a cat in the house.
家中养猫我受不了。

k n. 诡计,欺诈,把戏,诀窍

These children loved playing tricks on their teacher.
孩子们喜欢捉弄老师。

ea n. 几内亚 n. 英国往昔的金币

1."We must go, " said Sir John. --"It shall not be put off when we are so near it. You cannot go to town till tomorrow, Brandon, that is all. "

【句子翻译】“我们一定要去,”约翰爵士说,“事到如今,不能推延啦。布兰登,你可以等到明天再进城,就这么定啦。”

【难句解析】put off “推迟”;

She keeps putting off going to the dentist.
她老是拖延著不去看牙病。

2."I wish it could be so easily settled. But it is not in my power to delay my journey for one day!"

【句子翻译】“我但愿能这么容易就定下来。可是我无权推迟行期,哪怕一天也不行!”

【难句解析】settle“安定,安顿,确定下来”;in one's power“在某人的掌握之中”;

I sincerely hope that you will settle the matter to your mutual satisfaction.
我衷心希望.你们将这件事情解决至双方都满意.

It is not in my power to do that.
做那事非我力所能及。

I will do everything in my power to assist you.
我会尽全力协助你。

3."I cannot afford to lose ONE hour. "

【难句解析】“我一个小时也耽搁不得。"

【句子翻译】afford to“付得起,能承担”;

We can afford to overlook minor offences.
我们可以不计较小过。

You can ill afford to criticize others when you behave so badly yourself.
本身行为不正,则不宜批评别人。

was afraid of catching cold I dare say, and invented this trick for getting out of it. I would lay fifty guineas the letter was of his own writing.

【难句解析】我敢肯定,他害怕感冒,于是就耍了这个金蝉脱壳之计。我愿拿五十个几尼打赌,那封信是他自己写的。

【句子翻译】I dare say“我敢说”;get out of sth.“摆脱某事”;

I dare say he will arrive tonight.
我想他今晚会到达。

She'll need luck to get out of a tight corner like that.
她要靠运气才能摆脱那样的困境。