当前位置

首页 > 英语阅读 > 英文经典故事 > 双语小说连载:《董贝父子》第12章 Part 4

双语小说连载:《董贝父子》第12章 Part 4

推荐人: 来源: 阅读: 2.98W 次

His endeavouring to hoist himself on to a very high window-seat, and his slipping down again, appeared to prepare Toots's mind for the reception of a discovery.

双语小说连载:《董贝父子》第12章 Part 4
保罗设法攀登到一个很高的靠窗子的座位上,但却又从上面滑了下来;这件事情似乎使图茨的心智开了窍,使他能够发现一件事情。

'You're a very small chap;' said Mr Toots.

“您是个很小的家伙,”图茨先生说道。

'Yes, Sir, I'm small,' returned Paul. 'Thank you, Sir.'

“是的,先生,我很小,”保罗回答道。“谢谢您,先生。”

For Toots had lifted him into the seat, and done it kindly too.

因为图茨已把他举到座位上,而且态度很亲切地做了这件事。

'Who's your tailor?' inquired Toots, after looking at him for some moments.

“您的衣服是谁做的?”图茨向他看了一会儿之后,问道。

'It's a woman that has made my clothes as yet,' said Paul. 'My sister's dressmaker.'

“我的衣服一直是一位女人做的,”保罗说道。“她给我姐姐做衣服。”

'My tailor's Burgess and Co.,' said Toots. 'Fash'nable. But very dear.'

“我的衣服是伯吉斯公司做的,”图茨说道。“很时髦。但是很贵。”

Paul had wit enough to shake his head, as if he would have said it was easy to see that; and indeed he thought so.

保罗聪明地点点头,仿佛想说,·这·点很容易看得出来;他确实也是这样想的。

'Your father's regularly rich, ain't he?' inquired Mr Toots.

“您的父亲很有钱,是吗?”图茨先生问道。

'Yes, Sir,' said Paul. 'He's Dombey and Son.'

“是的,先生,”保罗说道,“他就是——董贝父子公司。”

'And which?' demanded Toots.

“董贝什么?”图茨问道。

'And Son, Sir,' replied Paul.

“父子,先生,”保罗回答道。

Mr Toots made one or two attempts, in a low voice, to fix the Firm in his mind; but not quite succeeding, said he would get Paul to mention the name again to-morrow morning, as it was rather important. And indeed he purposed nothing less than writing himself a private and confidential letter from Dombey and Son immediately.

图茨先生低声地试了一两次,想把公司的名字记在心头,但不很成功,就说,他想请保罗第二天早上把这名字再说一次,因为这是相当重要的。其实他无非是想立刻起草一封董贝父子公司写给他本人亲启的机密信件罢了。

By this time the other pupils (always excepting the stony boy) gathered round. They were polite, but pale; and spoke low; and they were so depressed in their spirits, that in comparison with the general tone of that company, Master Bitherstone was a perfect Miller, or complete Jest Book.' And yet he had a sense of injury upon him, too, had Bitherstone.

这时候其他的学生(那位石头般的孩子总是例外)都聚集在一起。他们都彬彬有礼,但脸色苍白,低声说话;他们精神都很抑郁,跟这群人的心绪比起来,比瑟斯通少爷可以称得上是一位真正的米勒①或者是一本《笑话大全》了。然而比瑟斯通少爷也有一种受屈感。

--------

①指18世纪英国(滑稽)演员乔(约瑟夫)·米勒(Joe(Joseph)DMiller)(公元1684—1738年);在他死后,由约翰·莫特利(JohnMottley)编了一本《乔·米勒趣话集》(JoeMiller’sJests)出版。


注释: slip down 失足
(1) Take down the insulation slip.
中断绝缘材料滑动。
(2) I wrote it down on a slip of paper.
我把它记在一张纸条上。
(3) He might slip, but he would not stay down.
他会滑下去,但是他不会停留在下面。
(4) I am slip from armrest those who come down.
我是从扶手上滑下来的。
(5) It is a joy to listen to their voices slip up and down.
聆听他们歌声的抑扬顿挫真是一大享受。
(6) 3 million, equivalent to book payment is from "down" to slip of a pen.
3万元的性质是预付款,相当于预订金,之所以写成“定金”属于笔误。
(7) You are far from the central office , you just slip down to a lower rate.
你离开电话局远,那么你就降到较低的速度上。

shake
vt. 动摇;摇动;震动
vi. 动摇;摇动;发抖
n. 摇动;哆嗦
[ 过去式shook 过去分词shaken 现在分词shaking ]

(1) Make me a chocolate milk shake .
给我巧克力泡沫牛奶。
(2) Shake the sand out of your shoes.
把鞋子里面的沙子抖出来。
(3) Shake, shake, shake your shoulders.
摇,摇,摇摇你的肩。
(4) Her hands began to shake.
她的手开始发抖。
(5) This canoe does not shake out easily.
这个独木舟里的水不容易摇出来。
(6) We sometimes shake hands when we say hello.
当我们说你好的时候有时会握手。
(7) It's taking me a long time to shake off this cold.
我这回感冒好长时间了还没好透。
(8) After all, you cannot shake hands with a closed fist.
毕竟,你不可能和一个握紧的拳头握手。